Is Your Ex Ignoring Custody Agreements?

If you are like most parents, you want what is best for your children. This means ensuring that they have a stable home environment and regular schedule with both of their parents. When one parent continually ignores or breaches the custody agreement, it can cause a lot of disruption in the child’s life. If this is happening to you, don’t panic. There are steps you can take to remedy the situation.

Try Having A Discussion

The first step is to try to talk to your ex. It’s possible that there was a misunderstanding or they simply forgot. If it is possible for the two of you to reach a resolution, this can help you avoid taking further action. If not, then you’ll need to take some additional measures.

Taking Further Action

If talking to your ex doesn’t work, you can consult with an attorney. They can help you draft a legal document called a “notice to comply.” This document states what the custody agreement is and what needs to be done in order for it to be followed. Once this document is served to your ex, they will be legally obligated to adhere to the terms of the agreement or face consequences.

Document Instances

Another thing you should keep in mind is documenting any instance where your spouse fails to uphold their end of the agreement. This will be helpful if you do need to take legal action. Be sure to keep records of dates, times, and any other relevant details.

Seeking Legal Assistance

If your ex is regularly ignoring the custody agreement, it’s important to seek legal help. Our team of experienced attorneys can assist you in taking the necessary steps to protect your rights and ensure that your child’s best interests are being met.

Contact our team today at (916) 797-1575 to schedule an appointment for a consultation! We can provide you with experienced legal counsel.

Request a Consultation

Fields marked with an * are required

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.